Saturday, July 10, 2010

Update on IVF Cycle #1

So we have been on an emotional roller coaster the last couple of weeks! We had two embryos put in on June 15th. The embryos couldn't have looked any better! On the scale that they are graded one was a 8 cell excellent and the other 8 cell good plus. So instead of doing a day 5 transfer they transferred on day 3. We had 9 more embryos that they were going to grow out until day 5 to see if the would hopefully grow normally and we would have some to freeze. That wasn't the case. For some reason the other 9 didn't make it. While we were a little upset about that news we were still optimistic about the 2 fabulous looking ones that were transferred. One week after the transfer I started to bleed. I called the nurse who told me that bleeding was never a good thing, but there was nothing we could do until 2 weeks after the transfer (this was probably the longest week of my life) I felt so down and just thought how hard this has been and thinking about having to do it all over again! I went in for and HCG blood test that surprisingly came back positive. I was in complete shock! Doug and I were so excited, but still baffled by the bleeding. Since I went in for the blood work a day early the nurse wanted to give it a couple of days and draw my HCG again to make sure that the levels were going up. Indeed the were. That was reassuring. Making us feel a little more at ease. Until yesterday I started to bleed again. I knew this time that this wasn't right and something was definitely wrong. I went in again today for what would have been my 6 week ultrasound, and there was no longer anything there. For some reason the baby stopped growing. It was so hard being in the office while everybody was telling us how sorry they were. I know that their apologies are sincere. It just wasn't the news we were planning on hearing. We have talked about it and are planning on doing another cycle. It should start sometime in September. Please keep us in your prayers. We would love nothing more then to hold a little baby in our arms!

2 comments:

Holly and Landon said...

I hadn't seen this yet when I asked you about it the other day, I'm so sorry Katie. You guys have been in our prayers every night for the last few months and we will continue. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I love you guys and will keep you in my prayers, I know that a baby would be very blessed to have you and Doug for parents.